Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Marbles & Ice Cream

Tate was dying to play marbles with the marbles from the reunion so we attempted.

The problem is that we don't really know how to play and that my sidewalk has a really nice slope to it which makes the marbles go everywhere but where you want them to.


We made up our own rules. If anyone knows how to play for reals, let us know. We have 340 marbles, we might as well know what to do with them.

Tate is sure that he won. We let him think that because we don't know who won.


So then we decided to make ice cream. It was really fun, except that you need winter gloves on because it gives you frost bite on your fingers to make it.


I didn't think that it was going to work, but it did and it tastes great. After eating it, I then discovered that it only has about 21fat grams and too many calories to mention. We will only make ice cream once a summer!

Here is the recipe though. Because it is really fun that it works. My kids kept saying that it wasn't working and then it all of the sudden gets stiff and editable instead of drinkable.

Speedy Ice Cream

1 cup half and half cream

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups coarsely crushed ice cubes

3/4 cup salt

In a small resealable plastic bag, combine the cream, sugar, and vanilla. Press out air and seal.

In a large plastic resealable bag, combine the ice and salt; add the sealed small bag. Seal the large bag; place in another large resealable plastic bag and seal. Shake and knead for 5-7 min. or until cream mixture is thickened. Serve immediately or freeze.

This was enough to make 4 servings!

It was a fun day, but looking at the pictures, my kids never got their hair done. I guess I don't have it in me to be a fun mom and have cute kids. I would say that we will work on that, but I know that it won't happen!!

2 comments:

CAINS said...

We seriously need a Couch/Woodhouse reunion! Your kids are growing up too fast!! They are so stinkin cute! I miss the monthly trips to the Kimball and such. It is a shame that we've had to grow up, well, you guys have...I'm a different story!

MaryAnn said...

You draw a circle with a piece of chalk and you put the marbles in the middle and you have your main marble, I can't remember what it is called, and you try to shoot the other marbles out of the circle with your main guy.