So here goes, my attempt at explaining the latest medical news. My very least favorite subject. Last week I got very, very sick during my kids tumbling recital. By the end of it I didn't think that I was going to be able to get my body home. I woke up the next morning, sick (my whole body hurt terribly) and my eye had totally closed. I have been having some weakness in it for about a month now if I was tired or stressed, but when I tried hard enough I could get it to look normal. Not last Wed. morning. The palsy had totally returned and I knew it the second that I woke up. The palsy feeling was back in full force and I was pissed off to tell you the truth. The first word out of my mouth was one that I will not be posting on the blog. I was going to call Dr. Daynes, but I didn't know what to tell him was wrong with me sick wise. So I called Dr. Blauer. He took one look and got so confused and concerned. He conferred with Dr. Daynes (whom I love, by the way) and they decided to go for a GIGANTIC horse pill 3 x a day for a viral infection which brings on bells palsy (I have bells this time, they think. Still a lot of 3rd nerve too though), and the lovely steroid that I am so good at taking (remember the extra long October post). So I have spent the last week on my favorite meds. I waited til I was off the steroids to write due to the length of my last drugged posting. Wasn't that nice of me. So then the docs decided to have an MRI. Apparently, only 7% of people get recurrent palsy. I like being in the minority you know. Recurrent Palsy is most commonly caused by a brain tumor. Well, there you go. That just made my day. I have always admitted to not being totally mentally okay, but I never really thought that I was THAT bad off. So I went in for my MRI on Friday. The tech, of course, wouldn't tell us anything. You gotta hand it to the poor guy, he put up with Cody trying to pry info out of him for an hour and didn't break. He was awesome. My last scan experience didn't go so well (remember the pants peeing incident), so I was expecting the worst. When he said that I had to have the dye put in me again, I about died, but he quickly informed me that it was a different dye and that I wouldn't feel like I had to pee (why didn't the first guy warn me about the peeing issue???) I would just taste metal. Metal doesn't taste all that bad. The only major problem here was the claustrophobia. I don't remember the tube being that small and then they put what he called a football helmet on me and I was okay, then he informed me that I have a small head and that he needed to put padding in there. He jammed these pillow things in the football helmet thing and all I can say is that it is good that I have been training for this for a few years now. My taichi breathing was a lifesaver. I just breathed through it. (I must be one good taichi teacher. - J.K.) I almost freaked out once when they were testing for a stroke, but he informed me that he could have me out of that tube in 4 seconds. Good to know that he has it down.
So then the wait started. We were told that we would hear about the results by Friday night or Monday morning. That is a long time to wait to hear about a brain tumor in your head (just in case you were wondering). I didn't receive a call, so I called them on Monday. Guess what... there was a little problem, they couldn't find the results. Only I get to lose my brain tumor results!!! So, I waited and waited. No call. So I called them again on Tuesday. By this time I had all my wigs picked out. Jessie and I decided that we would get me wigs in every color and style. Think about how fun it would be for me to get to change my hairstyle and color everyday!!! Finally, Tuesday evening, I get a call from Dr. Blauer's nurse. She was calling to tell me that they had finally gotten the results and that I would need to come in on Wed. morning to hear what they were. I was not going to let her off the phone until I knew about the tumor. She finally informed me that it was not a tumor, but that I needed to get in there tomorrow. Well, there goes my wigs...
Mom and I went in on Wed. morning ready for the worst. Dr. Blauer says, "Do you want the good news or the bad news?" Okay, let me see, take your pick. I said, I guess the good news. He said that it was not a tumor. Good. Then he said that there was white matter on my brain. Bad. My brain looks like an old person's brain that has had mini strokes. Well, I bet that is cute. He didn't give us much more info except that I will be going to a neurologist. Guess when, my appointment is 5 weeks away.
So, I woke up yesterday thinking...My eye is not working, I am sooooo cute, I have stuff on my brain, and I don't get to figure it out until June 30.....NOT! I am getting so assertive these days. I called the awesome and fabulous Dr. Daynes (have I mentioned how much I like him?). He called me back last night and told me to get a copy of the MRI report faxed to him and Mom took some darling pics of me to send to him. He took over immediately and said that he will get it handled. Today, after some research, he called and has gotten me into the Moran Eye Center to see a neuro-opthamologist. We are passing by the neurologist and going straight to the top. Yay. I get in next week, not in 5 weeks!!! Cody is a little concerned about Dr. Daynes and I's relationship. I informed him that it is a good thing that my doc likes me so much. It got me to the top, and besides, I am a likable person ya know!!! I think that he has forgotten that these past few days. I haven't been very fun to live with. Sorry Cody. So there it is. My story. I am amazed at how rumors can spread. I think that everyone thinks that I am dying. Not dying, just a little screwed up in the head, and lets be honest, we all already knew that - right!!! If you see me, just look at the good eye and act like all is well. It would be much appreciated.
7 years ago













6 comments:
Oh WOW! I'm sitting here with big tears rolling down my face... :( I'm sorry to hear about all the
sh--. I'm glad you are taking control of your own health.! Yeh finally someone gets it. Kudos to your doc in SL! You will be in my prayers and thoughts. Love you! Hang in there.
You are so in my prayers but I know it will all be ok. Let's do lunch when you come down to SL.
Aauughhh!
It is way to early in the morning for this post, my kids want to know why I am crying and laughing at the same time. You are a crack up Em - and you have the most amazing strength I have ever seen. I hope everything works out for the best. Seriously call me! I can be at your house in 7 minutes at most anytime of the day, chatting, babysitting, bringing over a pop (or something stronger if the situation requires) Or yo9u can just sit and swear (vent) I can take it....
Well, I must say that I am rather relieved that it isn't a brain tumor. I am ready at any time of the day to give you any part of my body that can fix you, but my brain? I might have to think twice about sharing that with you. I can give you part of my liver or spleen or as much fat as you would like. If you need any of that let me know, I am all over it!!!
Em!!! I am so worried!
Thank you for going over your docs head and calling SLC. Time is everything! Especially when you don't know what the heck is going on. Have you had a blessing yet? After Dick, I have so much faith and blessings and prayers. You definatly will be in ours.
OK, now the nurse in me... Shouldn't you go to a neurologist first, since they found some white matter in your brain?
We love you! I can help in any way. Babysitting, etc.
I love your family picture by the way.
I am so sorry to hear about the palsy. Yeah, your crazy but we won't have you any other way! My prayers are with you and good luck in SLC. Luv Ya!
Post a Comment