Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mystery Solved!

The mystery is solved...sort of. I went to Dr. Warner yesterday. She is my new favorite doctor. I finally have a doctor that knows what is wrong and doesn't hesitate when she is telling me. I was at her office yesterday for almost 5 hours, so I am pretty sure that she has figured it out. I do have to have some more blood work done to rule out some things, but besides that I am feeling pretty good about the diagnosis. Here is the run down....
I had to wait in the waiting room for over 2 hours before I got in the office due to an emergency that the doctor had to deal with. Then just when I was about to take a bite of my lunch, they called me back - perfect timing. The first doctor I saw gave me the normal eye exam that you would get at any eye doctor. He changed my prescription so that I will be able to see better I hope. I did get to order new, and might I add, very cute glasses. So that went well. The next doctor was Dr. Yang. Dr. Yang lacked in personality. He did not think that I was one bit funny, which makes the situation a little rough. I like to be funny when they are poking and prodding at me. It is my coping mechanism. He literally checked every part of my body. I can now tell you that nothing is wrong except for my eye. He checked reflexes that I didn't know that I had!!! Dr. Yang and his glowing personality took a full history of my medical issues, then I finally got to meet Dr. Warner. She is rad. She walks in introduces herself and tells Dr. Personality to explain everything to her. She looks at him and says "Go Yang" I felt a little bit like I was on Greys Anatomy for a minute - that was fun. He went through everything with her, then she examined me, saying nothing the whole time. She finally started talking and thank goodness she had a personality. She was so smart and knew exactly what she wanted to say. She said it with confidence. No maybe this or maybe that or brain tumor or anything. She told me that the MRSA had done some deep nerve damage. Now I know that I am no Neuro Opthamologist, but I am pretty sure that I have been saying that it was the MRSA from day one. HHHMMMM!!! She said that it is not palsy. It is called a tick. My nerve that closes my eye is overactive (the 7th nerve) My nerve that opens my eye is under active (the 3rd nerve). I blink every second. The rest of you blink every four to five seconds. That part freaks me out a bit, because now I am very aware of it and I am trying not to blink so much. I have always been terrible at starring contest, it is all starting to make sense to me now. So the problem is that with the nerve damage - every time that I get sick or stressed my tick will come back. She said that Dr. Daynes did the right thing by doing the botox, but that I can't have botox every time this comes back, because that much botox will start to affect my eyesight. I have to learn to control it myself. I have facial nerve exercises to do everyday. Now if anyone would like a good laugh. They should come over and watch me pull stupid faces at myself in the mirror. I look ridiculous, but I will do anything to get this better. If I can't control it, then I have to go to a physical therapist that specializes in 3rd nerve therapy. I wonder what kind of person wakes up one morning and decides that they are going to be a 3rd nerve physical therapist? Here is the best part....she told me that I have to get a full nights sleep every night for a week. HAHAHAHA!!! Okay, so that didn't happen last night. We will try and start my full weeks sleep tonight. Pretty sure it isn't going to happen, but she says that if I can give it enough rest that my eye will open. Anyway, I think that it is pretty good news considering the other diagnosis that I have been worried about. I am a little frustrated to know that I will have to deal with this forever, but I am determined to take control of it. I am supposed to get good sleep and get rid of my STRESS. When my Dad heard that one his only remark was "She has to get rid of Cody"!!! I thought that was quite funny, unfortunately I love him too much. I don't want to get rid of him. I think I would just like to get rid of his DOG and his PICKUP (and the payment that comes with it). Things are going to change in the Garrard household. It might get ugly for a little while, but I don't like looking the way I do, so I am going to take control of my health somehow. As for the white matter - this is going to sound funny, but after all that we went through yesterday, we got out in the car and Mom and I were discussing it all, and we both forgot to ask about it. I know that sounds dumb of us, that was the major concern, but it was a long, long day. Dr. Warner didn't mention it, so I am thinking that it is not anything to be alarmed about right now. I go back in 6 weeks, so I will remember to ask about it then. For now, I am going to SLEEP and RELAX and NOT STRESS and do my EXERCISES..............okay, well I am going to do my exercises anyway!!! I will work on the others. I will learn to control my tick. I am starting to think that I should just be admitted to a mental institution - who gets ticks - seriously......oh, me. So there you go. The mystery is solved!

6 comments:

SAYDA said...

Get rid of Cody... too funny. Your dad is a funny man with a fun sense of humor.
I'm glad it's not something life threatening. I think you're on the right track. I see you walking everyday. That should be good and relaxing. Shouldn't it??? Hang in there and get selfish with your time. Learn to say no Missy!!!
I know we all have white matter in our brain. I wonder if you just had too much. Oh well... to be continued. Love you EM.

Jen said...

I think destressing your life is going to be a wonderful change for you. If you need to practice saying no I will call you and ask you to do things and you can tell me no all you want! :) I would say out with the pickup and dog asap... no stress is worth it! But you know me and dog and car payments. :) hahahahahahahahaha
If there is anything I can do please let me know. When the stress is coming and you need a break drop off your younger three children and don't worry about them. But soooooooooooo glad you have some answers and no bracelets needed to be purchased!

Karla, A Cali Girl in Idaho! said...

Well, well, well. taking control of your own health. Isn't that what I said from the beginning Sal? :D So glad to hear you met with some great doctors. I know your not going to call and say "hey will you come get my kids." So be prepared when I stop by and want to pick up Em. You can't say anything but "okay take her...". I'm glad you found some answers and your starting to work on yourself. Chat with you soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh good! I really didn't want to shave my head:) I'm so glad you know what you are dealing with now. If you need anything let me know. Even if you just want to come laught at my family!

Mindy said...

I'm glad it wasn't anything serious! Although I was kinda interested in seeing all the wigs you were going to buy. A different one for everyday sounds like fun! JK! It takes a good smart woman to get to the bottom of most anything! If you need anything just call, Bryce would love to play with Tate!

Julie said...

Whew, I'm glad you found someone you like and is knowledgeable. I know it's weird, but we can just handle things better when we know what it is, even if it's not the best news. Just knowing seems to help.

Sure do miss you and our quick little chats. We still would like you to take pictures for us on August 1st. It's going to be a production- John's parent's 50th anniversary. They have 9 children and they will all be there with the almost 30 grandchildren. And I think most families will want an individual family picture! Fun, Fun!